Monday, December 14, 2009

Complaints and Confessions

Will was talking to a friend the other day and told him that I only tell the happy stories on the blog. So I'm proving him wrong, today I'm going to share my messier side.

It irritates me when people ask questions of my ten month old instead of directing them to me..."How old are you?" "What's your name?" I'm very tempted to reply with, "I'm sorry, she hasn't learned to talk yet." This also applies to people who criticize my parenting choices through statements to my child. If you're a mom, you know what I'm talking about. "I bet your little feet are cold aren't they sweetie, too bad you don't have any shoes on." "I'd give you some ice cream, but you're mommy won't let me."

I detest cleaning. My family has clean clothes to wear. I make sure they have breakfast, lunch, and dinner. But my floors haven't been mopped in 10 months. I dust the furniture on a biannual schedule. And the bathroom toilet MIGHT get cleaned once a month. I keep pretending that this is going to change about me. That I'm going to come across some fantastic plan that will work for me. But I'm thinking about accepting myself just as I am. Of the four people in my house, I'm the only one who judges myself for this. I'm sure there are those who have been to my house and passed their own judgment, but really, who cares. If they love me, they will get over it. I'm tired of being disappointed in myself.

I am a hypocrite. I can present a fantastic argument for why we should all be doing more to care for the poor, then go out and eat lunch at Qdoba that I could have foregone for a sandwich at home. I can rail on about the latent racism and classism in the church today, while busy judging the crap out of the people who are commiting said sins.

If you invite me to a shower, don't ask me to bring food as well as a gift. If you don't have the money or time or space to throw a shower by yourself, ask a person or two to help you. But please, don't ask fifteen different women to give of their time, food, and gift budget.

And if I leave you a message on your phone...call me back. I'm becoming a fan of texting (I know, hard to believe since I just got a cell phone a year ago), but I should not have to text you to get you to communicate with me. Speaking of which, it is rude to text someone in the middle of a conversation. It is rude to make other people wait while you finish your conversation in the grocery check-out line. It is rude to cut me off on Granby Street because you are talking on your cell phone! Stop being rude.

I think I'm done now. Merry Christmas!

8 comments:

Lady Cayt said...

hmmm I like this darker side of Christy :) I have to agree w/ the cleaning schedule ... I'm literally right there with you. I felt so bad about it that I finally got a cleaning lady once a month and only for floors and bathrooms. (trying to save) :) if only to keep them clean for 1. my every peeing and pooping boys and 2. for my crawling baby :) and I HOPE I didn't ask you for a baby gift for the shower I planned, if so, I heartily apologize. Your cooking skills were amazing and if I offended you in any way, including not sending you a TY note for your help, I'm so sorry!!

Also, with the texting thing, I agree. Get off the phone. :) I also didn't know you had texting on your phone, I'll have to send you one just to say hi!!

Holly said...

i love you. and i did call you back didn't i? or did i text? oh dear. i think i called...

Cam said...

Christy, this is GREAT!! Love it! We all need to speak our mind every once in awhile. Hope to see you soon!

Angie said...

You are my new best friend! Haha...we think a lot alike I think. It's so nice to know that I'm not the only one who nev..rarely 'deep cleans'. And talking to Caleigh like she's going to just have a conversation with you and criticizing me through comments to her...ahh! I'm so on the same page as you! Merry Christmas!

Christianne Page said...

Wow! Christy's letting it all out.

I admit I really like a clean floor (and toilet) and it grosses me out to walk barefoot and have dirt stick to my feet (which, incidentally, is why I vacuum and mop weekly in the summer - and only biweekly in the winter - and why I want to kill your dog when we keep him.) I took a disgust-level test on some university research site and I rated twice as high as the average person. Does this surprise you? On the other hand, I change our bedroom sheets only bimonthly... I really hate laundry.

I'm with you on the food for showers thing... and don't you love when you post a list of your pet peeves, everyone sees themselves as guilty? We're all guilty, folks. That's why I'm happy our friendships are based on grace. :)

Michelle said...

Hardwood floors don't show as much dirt... this is why I love them. And I clean my bathroom strictly for the sake of my babysitter not having to sit on a dirty toilet. I swear. I really hate cleaning the bathrooms...I always look for houses with multiple bathrooms, but honestly, I think everyone would be better off with just one. One bathroom means that we'll clean it more often? Maybe? lol

Mama Bee said...

Trying to catch up on your blog... I am SOOO relieved that I'm not the only person in the world that could care less about housekeeping. We don't have bugs or mice, so I must be doing good enough :)

Happy (or crappy, whichever) New Year to you and your family !! Much love...

Erica said...

Christy,
I love this post! You are completely correct about all of this. People shouldn't ask for too much help, criticize others homes (my home is never deep clean) and I refuse to change things about my home to make others happy (especially those who live above their means and only do so to put on a show).

I agree with the phone texting. Call me or write me an e-mail instead!

Miss you tons!