Sunday, January 10, 2010

Making a Promise

I found a yellowed, rodent-nibbled piece of paper, folded and rolled into a little scroll, in our small attic closet this week.

I Bruce B. Holland do promise to quit smoking or give up (Waunita?) as of 4:00 P.M. Sunday September 12, 1954.
(signed) Bruce B. Holland

I googled Bruce B. Holland. He's a pretty famous dude. CEO of Holland Construction. Earns an 8 digit salary. Contributes to various campaigns. Top 100 contractors. Only 60 years old though. He would've been five or six. Pretty sure he wasn't making a pact to give up smoking. Or even writing in cursive for that matter. And I'm not sure who or what the word that looks like Waunita is. But I am so darn curious.

I wonder if he was successful? I have my doubts. Not because I'm cynical (which I sometimes am), but because it was an "or" statement. He wanted to leave himself some options, which probably means he wasn't serious about quitting either.

I've been trying to stop picking at my fingernails. I told God a few years ago that I was going to stop. I thought if I told Him, then surely I would follow through. I didn't. It's amazing the effort that it takes to stop a bad habit. So I'm going big now. If you see me looking at, messing with, or chewing on my fingers, stop me. I might not like you very much in that moment, because I hate being told what to do, but I need a village. I know, I know. Just pray about it more, God will give you the willpower. But I believe that God doesn't want everyone to sit around, staring at the sky, waiting on Him to supernaturally take away their problems. He tells us to be wise, to make choices. So I choose to not write my plan on a piece of paper that no one else will ever see, but post it for the world to read.

I Christy Alley promise to quit abusing my fingers as of 2:30 p.m. Sunday January 10, 2010.

3 comments:

Christianne Page said...

Yay! I'm always dying to tell you to leave your poor fingernails alone and NOW I CAN!! Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha! Don't worry, Christy. I'm here for you. Together we can kick this habit. ;)

Lady Cayt said...

Christy, you're awesome! :) We're here for you. :) btw, maybe it was Holland's father who wrote that...might have fit in the time that the house was built too. Who knows, I'm curious too. We found a lot of that in the attic of our old house. (including a beautiful baby quilt)

Teresa said...

I hope you have good luck at this. It has drove me crazy that you and Kellie are very habitual where your nails are concerned. You pick and she bites down to the quick. If you make it and break the habit then I know there is hope for Kellie.