Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Independence

First, a pictorial update:
Will's new favorite activity
Charlotte's new favorite activity--she's about to stand (and is even walking a little now!)
Owen's new favorite activity


So many little stories...I keep thinking, "Must right them down." And then I get caught up in the grocery shopping, kitchen cleaning, butt wiping business. Better late than never.

We've been in our new house for a little over a month now, and that seems to have ushered in a new sense of independence for Owen. For about a year or so, Owen has been able to tell time. Not down to the minute, but the boy knows his hour hand. He had to learn because he wanted to get up far too early for my taste. I decided 7:00 am was reasonable, so that's the time I taught him, "Big hand at the top, little hand at the 7." For many months that meant that little feet slapping up the stairs of our old house were my morning alarm. Several months ago, he learned how to operate the tivo. He is allowed to watch two tv shows in the morning. That bought me another hour. Fantastic.

Upon moving here, however, he decided that he could do far more than turn on a few tv shows. He could make breakfast. A few weeks ago I came downstairs to the sight of a cherubic face covered in fruit juices. The half pint of blueberries...empty, container laid waste upon the floor of the den. A half dozen strawberries...gone. A dozen gigantic cherries...missing, save for the tell-tale pits lurking at the bottom of the cup that Owen had poised upon his protruding paunch. Virtually every piece of fruit in our refrigerator was consumed. That night I locked the fridge. The next morning I went downstairs, feeling smug. My son was not deterred. This time he examined the pantry for his breakfast options. And what did he find? A box of Cheezits and some raisins. Thankfully, he has not learned to operate the stove, otherwise he may have made himself a pan of brownies. We then started pulling the pantry tightly shut (it sticks, he can't open it). After a week or so we decided he had forgotten about his breakfast making skills, so we stopped locking away the food.

That was all well and good until a few days ago. The first thing I saw upon walking into the kitchen was THREE open containers of yogurt, lined up neatly at the edge of the counter. I peer down into them, realizing that they are all half empty...odd. I walk into the den and find Owen sitting on the couch with a cup full of yogurt and a very tiny straw. He looks up and says, "Look! I made Rainbow Yogurt!" I am surprised that he had not popped blood vessels in his eyes trying to suck yogurt through a tiny, swirly straw. I could do nothing but laugh and give him a spoon.

Unfortunately his free-wheeling days of independence will come to an end in a few weeks. Preschool will put an end to Mommy sleeping until 8:15. There's always Saturday.

6 comments:

Holly said...

rainbow yogurt...yum! what a good idea owen.

em and pete said...

So cute! I can't even comprehend the loveliness of sleeping in til 8 a.m. Amazing.

Mary said...

Top Chef, Iron Chef, Bobby Flay throw down, had better watch out. Chef Owen on the march.

Michelle said...

We have a fruit bandit here, too. It definitely keeps the "butt wiping business" active!

Angie said...

Oh my goodness look these sweeties of yours. Charlotte seems to have grown up in just the few months it's been since we left. I can't believe she's walking now...woo hoo! What a joy that is. Glad to hear you all are settling in, especially Owen. Could you send him out here to teach Jonas how to tell time and operate the tv so he doesn't have to wake me up. Let's just say the sun rises really early out here int he midwest. Miss you!

Emsamum said...

God bless the invention of the DVR and hand held video games that buy me time in the morning and a baby that sleeps until at least 8 and plays until 8:30. The video games and naps also buy mommy daddy time. Woohoo