Thursday, September 25, 2008

Angry Baby

I thought the vomiting had ended. It had been about nine days since the last unfortunate episode. However, Wednesday morning I was brushing my teeth, and as I went to spit out my toothpaste, I got more than I was expecting. Owen was right outside the bathroom. He walked to the doorway and asked suspiciously, "What are you doing, Mommy?" I told him I was sick, and he declared, "I'm going to shut the door, so I won't be scared." When I came out out he asked if I was still sick. I explained that I was fine, but that sometimes when mommies have babies in their bellies, it makes them throw up. His next question was the kicker..."Is the baby still angry?" This led to discussion of the fact that the baby isn't angry with me, it's just the way God made pregnancy. Thus Owen's next associative declaration..."God is in my belly." I know this sounds strange, but lately he asked where Jesus lives and my answer was "our hearts." He knows that the baby is in Mommy's "belly." Bellies and hearts aren't very far apart, so you can see how this might confuse a two-year old. Big questions for such an early age. We'll be discussing politics next month.

3 comments:

Lady Cayt said...

oooh can I attend your political lecture next month? I'm sure I could use it in terms that a two year old could understand :) Thanks again for today! Charley had such a good time and it seemed like Owen was enjoying himself as well. Let me know if I can ever repay the favor.

Mama Lutz said...

What a sweet story - the part about Owen, I mean. He's such a smarty!

Hope that's the last bit of vomiting for this pregnancy!

Ma Ledford said...

I am about to wet my pants from laughing so hard! It is so good to know that the Ledford house isn't the onyl place strange and hilarious conversations occur. I just wish you would blog them for us - you are a hilarious writer friend!