Thursday, September 4, 2008

She-she poo-poo

One of my best friends uses the above phrase occasionally. Being able to understand context clues, I have come to interpret her use of it to mean what us country folks might call high falutin'. So for some reason, I was thinking about this tonight and wondered, who originated this phrase? I assume my friend didn't make it up all by herself (though her family does have a history of making up words ;-) To the internet I ran. Isn't it amazing what you can learn on the internet?! And so I found a website started by a Ms. Taylor Sparks, which contained this heading: "What is She-She/Poo-Poo Time™ ? She-She, is for women, grown women, only. Poo-Poo, is all about Rest, Relaxation and Replenishment." You might note that she has trademarked this phrase. Amazing. I also noticed that many of the uses of the phrase on blogs and other websites seemed to use it the same way my friend does. So how did that happen? Apparently she didn't intend it to have this definition. However, I couldn't find an actual definition anywhere else. Not even urbandictionary.com. Do any of you have any information about this phrase? You might be thinking that I have way too much time on my hands, but cut me some slack. I was an English major. Stuff like this fascinates me.

6 comments:

Emsamum said...

We always used it as she she foo foo. Foo Foo was always used in reference to perfume and accessories and anything super girly. If you were she she foo fooed you were all dressed up and ready to go. She she might be spelled differently tho if you're looking for technically specific. How're you feelin little momma?

Holly said...

i have never heard this in my entire life. how odd. i wonder if i can find my own phrase to trademark...

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Because my little sis is too overwhelmed to update her own blog, and I was begging her to entertain me, she graciously directed me to your site :). So glad she did so that I am able to weigh in on the very important discussion of the origins of "she-she poo-poo". All I know is that Oprah has been using this word on her show for at least a decade. My guess is that your friend consciously or unconsciously has heard Oprah use this word in a similar context. (BTW, our big sister, Kim, uses this word all the time and I think she'd say she made it up. Kim is very susceptible to media suggestion.)

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Sorry to clog up your comment section, Christy, but it just occurred to me (as I was doing some not-so-she-she poo-pooing of my own) that "one of your best friends" more than likely refers to Christianne. Of course! How silly of me; it's all clear now. Kim has always been susceptible to Oprahisms and Chrissy has always been susceptible to Big Sisterisms. I; however, am just to she-sho poo-poo for them all!

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

I am so she-she poo-poo in fact (and anal) that I'm going to edit my last sentence. "I (comma), however, am just TOO she-she poo-poo for them all!" Okay, I swear I won't write anymore. Blame Christianne; she gave me your link.

Christy said...

Beth, your comments are always welcome. Your personal editing made me laugh out loud. And Emily, I'm okay. The nausea comes and goes. The last couple of days have been great, but I'm hesitant to say that it's gone since I was vomiting in the sick four days ago. Thanks for asking!