Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Fridge

I need to take a poll. It's about the fridge. The situation is this...we remodeled our kitchen two years ago and bought a black dishwasher and microwave to match our black and stainless steel oven. Our fridge is almond and was working great, so we just left it. A couple of weeks ago the ice maker decided to start dripping, creating an ice glacier in our ice bin. This happened three years ago and we had to replace it (while it was under warranty). So here comes the question...do we replace it again at the cost of $150 (the fridge is only 6 years old) or buy a black and stainless steel one to match our other appliances (at least $600). My real question is whether you think a potential buyer would be turned off by the mismatched appliances. Since we're only going to be here for another 14 months, I can live with the current fridge quite happily as long as the drip is fixed. I just want to make wise financial decisions and not continue investing more and more money in the house, knowing the market will not support selling at a price that will give us a worthwhile return. Thanks for your opinion.

4 comments:

Holly said...

Can you get a just black one (no stainless)? I'm all about the compromise.

I guess if it were me, I would just replace the ice maker. No need to spend all that money for just that. I hate this dilemma. It's like whether or not to fix your old car when the engine breaks down or put the money into a new car.

I know...you could spray paint your current fridge...

pageda said...

if I remember correctly you have a fridge in the garage already? Well if not get the new one and throw this one out in the garage for extra cool storage. If you end up with two out there than even better. In my opinion you can never have too much freezer space.

Holly said...

so, what'd you decide to do?

Christy said...

I'm procrastinating.