Monday, March 9, 2009

Fair Weather Friends


Today was day three of our beautiful weather. In Norfolk, it only takes a few days of warm sunshine to bring out our friends, the American Cockroaches. Some people call them water bugs, but that's only because they are afraid to say the word cockroach. They believe it implies dirty, unpleasant living conditions. However, I have learned that everyone in Norfolk battles these little punks every spring. (At one point I have found a ginormous cockroach eating cookie crumbs from a still-warm cookie sheet, and making a scritching noise with his front legs that could be heard in the next room.) So every spring I buy a load of giant bug hotels and place them around the house. But who would have thought it was cockroach time already? Apparently, it is. We were at Hardee's yesterday (free Roastburger day). I was waiting at the counter while Will sat at a nearby table with Owen and Charlotte. To my utter horror, one of the largest cockroaches ever is headed straight for my family. I'm fairly certain that it's going to zip up Will's leg and attack them all. I make a mad dash for the table, yank off my flip flop, and beat the mess out of him before he can complete his killer mission. I'm sure the people in line, along with several employees, think that I have lost my mind. But one savvy employee realizes I deserve a free cherry turnover for that. So if you're looking for free food, keep an eye out for cockroaches.

PS Don't worry, pictures of Charlotte (instead of cockroaches) on the way.

5 comments:

Holly said...

ewwwwwww...i remember the one on the cookie sheet!

Christianne Page said...

What is that scrawny little bug in the picture? That doesn't nearly do our cockroaches justice! We haven't had any yet, although a beetle scurried out of Evie's sock the other day, terrifying her. She's been building "beetle-walls" in her room ever since.

Wish I could have seen you beat the heck out of that roach. Although my first reaction was "ew, her bare feet touched the floor of Arbys!"

Teresa said...

Make sure the roach motels still have a vacancy when we arrive this weekend. I don't like sharing my space on the sleeper sofa.

Gill said...

Ok so to make you feel better, well maybe it will, we have them in VA beach too. I tell a great story about one summer when Brad's brother and sister-in-law were visiting and we were playing cards in the kitchen and one literally dive bombed my sister-in-laws head, stuck in her hair and of course freaked her out...don't think she came back in the summer again for a while. We always call Terminix when we see them...grosses me out!!!

Brian Shea said...

oh. my. goodness. this post is hi-larious! yes, it's about that time. and i agree with christianne - ew you were barefoot at arby's? that's worse than the roach! :)