Sunday, January 13, 2008

I'm not a Supermodel


I blame my sister Amanda for my addiction to America's Next Top Model. And now I'm hooked. I can't help but Tivo season after season of Tyra's bad acting. In light of my love of this show, and the dismal choices available with a writer's strike, I decided to give Make Me a Supermodel a try. On the very first episode Katy (girl at left) was asked by one of the judges if she "would rather be in another industry where she is accepted for her weight measurements." Excuse me? Did I really just type that? And we wonder why teenage girls have so many body image issues? Never mind the teenagers, what about women of all ages. I don't know anyone who isn't unhappy with her body in some way. Here this stunning girl is being told her thighs are "unacceptable," and of course I'm led to think..."what about my thighs?" Why do we do this to ourselves? I am the woman that God made me to be. I'm not saying that I couldn't stop eating sweets, only drink water, and eat salads every day for lunch. But how do we find a healthy balance in this crazy world of ours? Do I need to cut shows like this out of my life? Pluck out my eyes? I don't know. What do you think?

4 comments:

Holly said...

please don't pluck out your eyes. that might hurt.

as for the "i need to be skinny to be beautiful" mindset that tv has imposed on us, i hate it. i hate that we have to compare ourselves to others to make us feel better about ourselves. and yet, i watch those shows and i make judgments on people based on their weight or physical appearance. i prefer to look good in my jeans as opposed to feeling frumpy. is that wrong?

i guess the answer is in finding the balance. but is that just a cliche or do i really believe it can be done?

Tom said...

I think everyone should have their thighs (or hams as I prefer to call mine) measured weekly by the IRS for tax purposes. Everything else is taxed, why not thighs?

Will said...

I'll have the eye plucker ready. Just let me know.

Teresa said...

I do not like to watch the model shows, but I do worry about the image these ladies portray to young teenagers. Even Kellie worries about not having a six pack. As for my own self-image? I need to lose 30 pounds.