Monday, May 4, 2009

I Like Corndogs

If you haven't been living in your bomb shelter during the past few weeks, you may have heard of the swine flu. Due to my husband's profession, I've actually had several people ask me about said "pandemic" over the past few days. Here's what I have to say, and I feel as if I'm channeling my husband as best I can here, so go ahead and picture a subtly incredulous stare...it's the flu.

The flu is a contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses. It can cause mild to severe illness, and at times can lead to death. The best way to prevent the flu is by getting a flu vaccination each year.
Every year in the United States, on average:
5% to 20% of the population gets the flu;
more than 200,000 people are hospitalized from flu-related complications; and
about 36000 people die from flu-related causes.


This was written on the CDC's website before the "outbreak," regarding the regular ole' flu. 36000 people a year die from the run-of-the-mill flu, and we're up in arms over this one because it has the word "swine" in it? On a swine flu website there was even a list of possible questions the public may have and their corresponding answers including "Can I still eat pork?" Are you kidding me? Please go out and buy yourself a corndog. So listen carefully, unless people start dropping like flies around you, please do not commandeer your neighbor's motorcycle and head to Nebraska to prepare for battle against Satan's minions in Las Vegas. It's not time.

M-O-O-N, that spells flu.

4 comments:

Christy said...

If the last bit of the post confuses you, please go out and rent The Stand immediately.

Will said...

Actually, don't go rent the Stand, just get the Cliffsnotes. It's really long and not that great.

Mary said...

Just tell me the meaning-I probably wouldn't get it anyway.

Teresa said...

I'm with Mary. Tell me what it means.