Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Tagging

Okay, so I'm new to this whole blogger thing. Apparently, there is something called "being tagged." Your blogger friends, who have been subjected to said tagging by one of their blogger friends, pass it on to you...like a virus. Is this the chain letter of the blogging world? Am I going to receive 7 years of bad luck if I don't follow through on this tagging? Doubtful. However, I have been tagged by a new friend, Amy, whom I happen to like very much. So I'm going to follow through with my assignment, though I don't believe I'm going to try to strong-arm others into doing so (hopefully she won't reject me in my disobedience). But if you'd like to participate on your blog, feel free. It goes something like this. Pick up the nearest book. Turn to page 123. Transcribe the 5th, 6th, and 7th sentences on the page. So here goes:

"You have corn of your own growing; I have to buy every grain. Do what I will, I must spend three roubles every week for bread alone. I come home and find the bread all used up, and I have to fork out another rouble and a half."

This is from Walk in the Light and Twenty-three Tales by Leo Tolstoy. Not sure what these sentences are all about...I'm only on page 87. But probably some ridiculously poor Russian dude who is about to be jailed unjustly, cheated out of his rightful earnings, or left by his wife, only to find true meaning in it all through his relationship with God. I'm on tale #3 and that seems to be the pattern so far. If you are wondering why I'm reading heavy Russian fiction in my spare time, I blame the Tab book club. If you are as in love with reading as I am, I suggest you take on a book club yourself. Incredibly rewarding. If, however, you are more like my husband, I'd just recommend that you try picking up a book, say, every four years or so.

3 comments:

Holly said...

The chief leader of the Levites was Eleazar son of Aaron, the priest. He was appointed over those who were responsible for the care of the sanctuary. To Merari belonged the clans of the Mahlites and the Mushites; these were the Merarite clans.

Nearest book: the B-i-b-l-e sitting on my desk

amy alley said...

no forgiveness needed...i am usually hesitant to "call out" someone in a blog post like that; i usually leave it open to anyone who wants to participate, as you did.
(and hopefully, this is nothing like a chain letter...OR a virus ;).

Holly said...

i just realized it's kind of ironic. i met a girl named merari when i was in the DR last time. wonder if she was named after the clan...