Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Can't we all just wear diapers?

Potty training sucks. I have a two and a half year old boy who thinks so too. He dislikes it so much that he would rather wear a twenty pound diaper than pee in the potty. He'd rather go without Yogos and super cool Nemo stickers. He'd rather denounce being a "big boy" and pee all over the floor. I've tried it all: "feel cold" diapers, bribery (the aforementioned Yogos and stickers), nudity, playing in warm water, peeing on cheerios, videos. And then there's the latest idea--pouring warm water down his chest. I consider myself a pretty logical person. Normally, I would hear an idea like that and think, huh? Won't that just result in water going all over the bathroom floor? But I am so absolutely desperate that I didn't even think about things like cause and effect. I think I would have poured a bucket of orange juice on his head if I thought that would get him to pee in the toilet. But it didn't. It just got water all over the bathroom floor. So I'm resigning. We're all going to wear diapers from now on. Admit it. It would be nice to not have to stop what you're doing and just go. Think of how fast your car trips could be. See you in the diaper aisle.

5 comments:

Mary said...

fTake heart--A very long time ago when I was trying to take Joey's "paci" away the pediatrician to me "No child ever went to lst grade in a diaper or with a "paci". I'm not sure about no child but Joey finally gave up his "paci".

Holly said...

Will's a doctor. Can he just put in a catheter?

Christianne Page said...

Hang in there. . . after you cross this hurdle, there are no big ones left until he wants to learn how to drive a car.

Emsamum said...

Luke is 3 and we've been at potty training for 8 months now. Very discouraging. One thing that works for us and produces less tears is using a timer set for every 20 min. He only likes to go when the timer tells him, not me. But we've moved into underwear at home and the timer is working. There are a hundred ways to train and yet none all at the same time. Seems like it'll never end.

pageda said...

i don't understand how learning to pee on videos helps